Friday, November 16, 2007

Love Actually

Every year at the beginning of the Holiday season I have to watch Love Actually. For me this is usually in late October but I am running behind this year so I have not yet watched it. It is such a random movie I can't explain why I like it so much. I would never have thought this would be a movie that I watched year after year. I think maybe I like it because it feels so real to me and yet in the end it makes me happy. For some people it may be Its a Wonderful Life, for me it is Love Actually. Last year I tried watching Its a Wonderful Life for the first time. I'm sorry but I didn't find the wonder. I suppose this may have come from my dislike of Jimmy Stuart, who knows. When we were children we always went to my Grandma for Christmas. She had a finished basement that was quite comfy. One of the rooms had a TV and while the whole adult family was upstairs playing lively games of cards all of the grandchildren piled into the aforementioned room in the basement to watch Frosty the Snowman, Rudolf and various other Christmas classics.
What's your Holiday movie?

11 comments:

lauri said...

Oh, I like Love Actually too. I really do! When Jayne and I lived together we always watched the one about the donkey that carried Mary to Bethlehem. His name was Nestor. He had real long ears and his mom would always say, Ears, Nestor, when they got in the way. Me and Jayne still say that once in a while if someone is on our way..Corny Christmas stuff..got love it.

Anonymous said...

For me it is a tie between A Christmas Story and Home Alone. Something about Kevin destroying the "wet bandits" always makes me smile. Miss you!

Jayne said...

I will have to go with what Laur said...I love all the Christmas cartoons...maybe I can get Laynee into them this year?!?!?! Nestor the long eared donkey is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Nestor?

Jayne said...

Yes, Nestor! I'm not really sure why they named him that...but it is a very touching story, if you see it in your local listings it's not to be missed. =)

Kryna said...

Oh I love Christmas!!! The best is having the music in the background making decoration or food or just talking. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Nestor is the legendary "wise old man" in Homer's "Iliad." I wonder if the animated character you mention is a 'smart ass' too? adr

lauri said...

....no that would be uh Aaron

Anonymous said...

It's one of the only redeeming values of majoring in the classics! :-) adr

Anonymous said...

Ok, no judging please...

My holiday favorite is White Christmas. I have made it a tradition to always watch that movie while I wrap my Christmas gifts. I usually try and make it a Sunday afternoon activity. It reminds me of my childhood I guess. Good times.

Umm, is it appropriate to wish you a happy birthday now? :)

Brittany said...

tsk tsk, shame on you aaron.
Majoring in the classics has many redeeming values besides catching obscure references to ancient mythological figures.
you cynical old man, you.

As for Christmas movies, I'm partial to Elf. "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer is singing loud for all to hear!!"