Monday, July 30, 2007

Saturday's Work

Saturday I got up early and headed down to the local Farmer's Market around 6:30 in search of a few canning tomatoes. We already had about 3 overflowing ice cream buckets full, picked from our garden earlier in the week, and about another 3 from my aunt. I managed to get about 30lbs from the market so we were all set to can spaghetti sauce. Mom and Kryna joined me after breakfast and together we managed to can 53 quarts and 1 pint of spaghetti sauce by that evening. We stopped and left our pots to simmer around 3 o'clock to go and donate blood as the blood bank in AR is at less than a day supply right now. Mom and Kryna donated like old pros being quite ready to bleed for the cause. I stepped into the bloodmobile with the noblest intentions, hopped into the chair, surrendered my arm only to find that I would be handing over no blood that day. My veins have always proven to be a little tricky, but Saturday apparently the phlebotomist made some kind of mistake because I felt pain like no other and then my blood stopped flowing into the bag all together. I was willing to give it a shot in my other arm but they said they were only able to use one arm after they got blood in the bag. So another day perhaps. It was a really fun day. Canning is so much fun when you are all working together. I can't wait to teach my hypothetical daughters.

5 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I just love those kind of days.

Brett Hendrickson said...

James might want to learn too! I wish I knew how to can.

Tim and Lanette said...

Yeah I really should teach him too. Very good idea Brett

cope21 said...

Maybe you could even show an ole friend how to do that!!:)

Becky said...

Looks like fun...is Kryna shipping her share to her house? :)