Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pesky Cough Leads to Dr.'s Office

Unfortunately after today I fear this is no longer the picture James holds in his head of me. About three weeks ago he caught some sort of bug that led to a fever, massive amounts of snot, and a very pesky wet cough. After a few days the fever was gone, in a few more so was the snot, but three weeks later the cough persisted. So I finally gave in and took him to the Dr. this afternoon. On the up side he measured 2ft. 7in. and weighs 27lbs., on the down side he came out with no less than 4 prescriptions. It was decided that he needs an antibiotic, 2 different breathing medications (to be mixed together and administered as a breathing treatment), as well as Cingulair. Apparently not only did he have a cough but he was also wheezing in his lungs, which led the Dr. to ask if our families have a history of asthma. I don't think so but I really don't know. The worst part of the visit was when I had to administer the first of what I am told will be several breathing treatments. I had to hold a plastic mask with holes in it over his nose and mouth till all of the medicine was gone. I had seen this done at the hospital many times so I wasn't anticipating a lot of commotion. I don't know what I was thinking. For the next 10-15 min. he screamed and tried to writhe out of my arms. He looked at me with such panic and desperation I don't know who it was more traumatizing for. Hopefully tonight he will have decided it is old hat.
So anyway all this to say we go see the Dr. again in 10 days and see if the cough, the wheezing, and the red throat are gone.
While I was there the Dr.'s wife mentioned that they are pulling all of the over the counter cough and cold medications for children under 2. Apparently many children were being overdosed so they are removing it entirely.

1 comment:

Kryna said...

Aww, the little punky. I didn't like the sound of his cough the other night either. But I panic way too quickly anyway.