Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Craftsman

"Safety first."
"No really, I'm just pushing them up for a closer look"
"Forget safety, This looks awesome!"
"Whatever just happened, I'm innocent."

This past summer I found a Craftsman tool bench on a garage sale for $3 that at the time was much too big for James. Now it is just his size. A few weeks ago I decided he was ready to learn to be a tradesman so I asked Tim to haul it in from the garden shed. I then rearranged what used to the nursery and has more recently become the toddler abode. His room now sports a nice fuzzy rug (the one that used to be in the living room) made just for playing on as well as his handy dandy work bench. It would seem he is all boy as he loves all things that have wheels as well as the Craftsman. One thing I did not foresee though is the deeply rooted friendship with Lumpy. I should have known, Lumpy has been there for him through thick and thin. Lumpy has been with him since birth. Lumpy is a small 12"x16" purplish blue blanket in the shape of a bear with a bear head on top. James and Lumpy were always close, they took naps together and things like that but in the last month their friendship has gone beyond the crib. They enjoy long crawls together on the floor and at times you can find James carrying Lumpy by the ear. (Did I mention the ear is in between his teeth? Lumpy is long suffering.) Hmm...I did not picture my son as a blanket carrier. Does a half stuffed animal half blanket count? Its really kinda cute. Hmm...Already trying to choose my child's friends...

5 comments:

Kryna said...

He is such a boys boy! And I think a little screening on the friends is a good thing....Lumpy is cool though.

Becky said...

We have a lumpy at our house, too! Such a cutie (James, that is) Glad he's enjoying his new trade at such a young age.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Grandpa could take some lessons from James on the safety issues. Like earplugs would have been helpful..hehehe
He is growing up too fast.

lauri said...

Well, listen, as long as he doesn't plan on taking Lumpy to high school with him, I think it's cool. Laynee has Gus the dog. Brought him to school today cuz it was "D" day today...see, at least James will be ready for "L" day! Always a bright side!

Anonymous said...

I miss you dear, sweet, lovely, wonderful friends. I'm getting teary eyed looking at these pictures of James. He's not my nephew I know, but it felt like it and I'm going to miss out on everything. Love you guys