Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In All Things Give Thanks to God


Yesterday the Bible study that I attend started its third year. We study through the school year and take a break during the summer. I had been aching to get started again because it is through this study that I have grown the most profoundly in the past. This year we will be studying Life Management for Busy Women by Elizabeth George. This study is focused on young mothers and wives and balancing the many tasks that are set before us in a Godly way realizing that without God it is all useless. Our leaders, Jan, in particular are very good at pointing us to Christ and showing us what its all for and how blessed we are to have these duties. Its odd to find this large of a group of women engaged in building each other up in the Lord rather than comparing lives, status, abilities etc. and tearing each other apart piece by piece. (Women are so good at that)
Yesterday our prayer was focusing on giving thanks to God in all things. This was timely for my life. I suppose we can always have a good dose of it, but sometimes its a little more dear. While I've done fairly well to remain faithful in our most recent trial its still very easy to become fearful that God may not be paying close attention with all He has going on and that maybe He won't fulfill His promises in time. I know this is ridicules, but we think in human terms and we want God to answer our prayers in our time. I found the verses to be a big encouragement. One in particular I felt as if He really was speaking directly to me. I've become a lot more "mystical" for a lack of a better term if you will lately and I'm not going to apologize for it. Our prayer leader had a paper printed out full of verses on being thankful to God and she had each woman read one. I usually hate this but today it was very useful to me. My verse was Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;. Our pastor had this on his answering machine for months and I think even preached a sermon about it but the version of the Bible he was using said "Be Carefull for nothing" instead and it just didn't click fully until yesterday. The 21st Century King James says "Fret not about anything," which works for me as well. Anyway it just felt like God was hitting me on the head saying " Stop worrying, keep talking to Me I'm going to take care of you." I can't believe it was just an "accident". So I am going to be not just thankful but thankful to God in all things.

5 comments:

Ladene said...

What a baautiful post , Lanette. Yes God does take care oif us at all times, even if it's not the way we think it should be. Why worry--let God do that for you. There is so much to be thankful for--all the time.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Wonderful post little girl. Please give us an update each week after each study. It will be great for the ones of us that are not able to attend your study. Finding a good Bible study is a blessing from God. I often thank God for placing Jan in your life.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Oh and I love your 'new look'

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Having a great Bible Study is a blessing. Glad you have found one and look forward to "studying" along with ya!

Mike and Belinda said...

Awesome - we do have so many things to be thankful for and so often take them for granted!