Wednesday, March 03, 2010

When the Cat's Away...

Lanette, the kids and Grandma left for Ontario to visit Auntie K and Uncle B this week so I decided it would be a good time to remodel the bathroom. It's a lot easier to go 36...72...96(aaaaaahhhhhh) hours without water/shower/toilet when it's just me around. Luckily, there is an open apartment right up the road (thanks Mom and Dad).
We had been planning this for some time and the project kept getting bigger. It started with replacing the toilet, then adding a claw-foot tub, and well, while we're at it why not a pedestal sink to make it look bigger. And if we're going to tear all that out, might as well replace the floor and walls too. Not knowing exactly what I was going to find, but knowing that there had been water damage in the past, I set to work on Monday with the help of some friends from work.

We removed everything but the toilet on Monday. Then we started on the walls. It sure looks a lot bigger without the shower enclosure. Hopefully with the new tub it will stay that way.


Tuesday afternoon, I tore out the rest of the drywall and took the toilet out. This is the wallpaper I found under the drywall. As I pulled it down I discovered that there were at least 2-3 more layers of different wallpaper underneath this one. Anyone have any idea what time period this is from?

This is the water damage I found. The sewer vent goes up the wall to the roof here and apparently the boot on the roof has rotted away.

On Wednesday we removed the linoleum and two layers of sub-floor to reveal more water damage where the toilet was. It appears to have been repaired once already in the past, which is why we haven't ended up falling through the floor. I'll only need to replace two of the boards to the right of the door.


Here is the claw-foot tub all ready to be sand blasted. That will happen tomorrow and then I can paint it.


I'll try to keep the updates coming as I am able. I plan to lay the new sub-floor and hardi-backer tomorrow and hang most of the drywall then tile the floor on Friday. Maybe I'll have the toilet back in on Saturday afternoon. Better go now, the plumber is supposed to be here any minute.

3 comments:

Ladene said...

Why don't you send them away until the baby comes and by that time you can have the whole upstairs done also?

Looks like a big project , but you're doing a good job of it. Nice to have some help on thngs like this.

Good for you, you've got many unknown talents, haven't you

Jon said...

Wow. Looks like you have your hands full. At least it will be worth it once your new bathroom is installed. Plus, healthier for the baby (Water damage equal mold etc.) Good luck with the rest of your project!

Kim said...

I'd guess 1940's on the wallpaper-- that's just a guess.

You have the horizontal board planks just like our walls. Love it!

If you could use help from Aaron, please let him know... he'd love to help out if he won't just be in the way.