Saturday, April 12, 2008

Strawberry Pie

Ok I am shirking my many duties of the day for a minute. Last night I made the most awesome Strawberry pie ever. Its so, so much better than the traditional strawberry glaze pie. Its also very easy. Tim was in the mood to take pictures of me too so I guess that was a good thing because I think these are the first pics I have of me pregnant this time. How I managed to go eight months without having my picture taken is beyond me. I actually contemplated not posting the recipe so that it would be mine all mine but then I decided to be nice.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place a drip pan on lowest shelf to catch pie juices.
  2. To Make Topping: In a medium bowl, mix until fluffy the 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, butter, and nutmeg.
  3. Place cleaned strawberries in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and cornstarch. Gently coat berries with this mixture; be careful not to crush berries.
  4. Pour berries into prepared pie crust mounding them in the middle; mounding is necessary as the berries will sink as they bake. Cover berries with crumb topping and top crumbs with about 15 pea-sized blobs of butter. Wrap edges of pie crust with foil to prevent burning.
  5. Bake pie in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 40 minutes. When there are 10 minutes left of baking, sprinkle a little extra sugar over crumb topping and then finish baking.

This one is for Kryna

5 comments:

Kryna said...

Oh my she has grown!!! Yay, that means not too long to go. Do you think she will like me? She did kick me first just like James, so I am thinking I have a good chance!

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Oww, sounds good. I will have to try it.
And of course the little girl bunny will love her Auntie K. What's not to love?

Anonymous said...

That pie loks reaaly good! I will try it when I get some strawberries from my garden.

You look so cute with your bunny!!

Mike and Belinda said...

Looks awesome - thanks for the recipe

lauri said...

What a pretty pregnant lady you make...can't wait to meet the young lass!