Thursday, December 07, 2006

"Oh Tannenbaum"

Yesterday afternoon we headed out to Mom and Dad's to find the perfect Christmas tree. When cutting a tree from a farm other than that of a tree farm perfect trees are hard to come by and yet in a mere 15 min. we had ours. James opted out of tree hunting to spend quality time with Grandpa and Grandma. This proved to be a pretty good idea for him seeing how he ended up getting to suck on his first piece of Anise candy compliments of Grandpa. After we trimmed our tree (quite literally trimmed, as in took off the excess branches) and ate bowls of pea soup we headed home. When we got home I hauled down all the ornaments, lights, and ribbon from the attic while Tim carried the tree in and prepared for the lengthy process of securing it in the stand. About 45 min. later and after it fell over three times we began to decorate. My Christmas tree would never win any contests but it has lots of memories on every branch. There's not one ornament that doesn't come with a story. Every Christmas since Tim and I have been together I have given him an ornament, and now I've started with James too. The fun is not in the tree itself but the traditions, memories, and family time spent putting it up.
Its been a cold winter so far this year (for AR). Our house is very old (I love it) and it is doubtful that there is any insulation at all in its walls (hopefully this will be remedied very soon). So, today Tim went around the outside and put plastic over all the windows. It seems to have helped. I have set up James pack n play in the dining room so that he can sleep closer to the wood stove. I've also taken to dressing him in a onsie and two sleepers with socks over his hands for mittens on particularly cold evenings. He seems to enjoy it and he looks like such a cute little snowball. He has a cold and I have no intentions for it to get any worse. :)

What a sweet husband, he let me drive and pick out the tree.
Homegrown trees have LOTS of character.
What's better than recycling last years ribbon?
All done.
Tim's ornement this year. I do love him a latte.
All tuckered out and staying warm.

7 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

You can see his hair is coming back on that sleeping picture. He looks so cute with his little mittens. The tree looks good too.

Tim and Lanette said...

You are so sweet Lara. Thanks for the cold remedies. I didn't want to take him to the Dr. but didn't know how to go about treating him. I've been using the buld suction on his nose and he is not immpressed.:) Thanks again I'll try it.

Tim and Lanette said...

* bulb suction

Anonymous said...

What a cute lil' tree! Our Grandma always had a cedar tree...But I never liked it cause if touched it, I would get like ten million little prickers in my hands. James will learn about those in no time, lol. Love you and miss you more than computers can say!

Tim and Lanette said...

We wanted to stop and say hi on the way back from MI, but I don't think you would have appretiated it ver much seeing how we rolled on by the Dixie Truck stop around 3 or 4 a.m. We miss yoou too, when are you comming to see us?

Brittany said...

"My Christmas tree would never win any contests but it has lots of memories on every branch. There's not one ornament that doesn't come with a story...The fun is not in the tree itself but the traditions, memories, and family time spent putting it up."

SO TRUE, Lanette! I know of people who have beautiful "showroom" trees that are all color-coordinated and perfect, but really what's the fun in that? In our family, as well, the fun of the tree isn't the tree itself but the traditions and MEMORIES in it. I love the tradition of giving each other ornaments every year. My mom started my yearly collection when I was a baby--just like you're doing for James--and it's so great because now when I'm a newlywed I'll get to take all my ornaments with me and have memories to put on my own tree!

Your tree is beautiful.

Kryna said...

Lara, your ormnament was your favorite present, but I bet you knew what it looked like before you "opened" it on Christmas Day didn't you?!?! :) Hey nothing wrong with that!