Friday, January 19, 2007

The Love of a Mother

When I was a little girl Mom always made us special Birthday cakes. She had these amazing shaped cake pans and she would bake our favorite flavor cake and then decorate it. She had pans shaped like Bugs Bunny, Raggedy Ann (which could also be decorated as Andy), Strawberry Shortcake, a T-shirt, and a Van that could also be decorated like a school bus, ambulance, etc. The night before our birthday there was no sign of a cake and in the morning, there it was, all perfect and delicious. It was always sad to cut into it because it was so fun just to look at it. She must have spent hours baking and decorating those cakes. One of the last years she made me one I was probably around 6 or 7 (its really hard to say just how old I was, I know I was less than 9). She was having an extremely busy year working in the shop with Dad and it really didn't look like there would be a cake that year. I was old enough to know it took a lot of time and I knew that, that was not something my Mom had a lot of to spare. I did really want a Bugs Bunny cake though. I went to bed late and if I remember right Mom was still working in the shop. When I woke up and came down for breakfast there was a perfect Bugs Bunny cake on the table that said "Happy Birthday, Lanette" in frosting. She had to have stayed up half the night to make that cake. Today I was Spring cleaning my kitchen and I came across those cake pans, Bugs Bunny and all. I don't know how I inherited them, but I am so glad I did. I took them out of the cupboard and looked through them and thought about James. I thought about his first birthday and which cake I would make for him. I remembered the times when Mom made us cakes even though she didn't have time and I knew I'd do the same for my babies. I love ya Momma. Thanks for all those cakes and all the wonderful memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think these little 'extras' were not so important, mostly because the typical U.S. citizen evaluates a parent's worth by how many ball games he/she made it to. But as I age, I'm coming more to realize that it's the extras that seperate the wheat from the chaff. Anybody can show up for a ball game--not everyone works a 16 hour day and makes a pretty cake for the next 4 hours and then gets up 4 hours later to work another 16 hour day. I second Netters thanks, not only for the actions but, by extention, the example. Thanks Mom and Dad! ADR

Mrs. P said...

Awww... what a sweet momma you have. Those are the things a little kid never forgets.

Kryna said...

And that is why I didn't read it when Mom was here. I knew I would cry...