Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Here and Now

My Aunt Wanda had this picture shellacked on a wood plaque hanging across from the toilet in her bathroom as long as I can remember. Aunt Wanda passed away 12 years ago this coming September. I never appreciated this cartoon until the past couple of years. I always thought it was just a silly cartoon hanging in my Aunt's bathroom. To be honest I never really thought about it that much at all. But as I grow older and think more about what my Aunt and Ziggy had to say I realize what good advice it is. Its not profound, but somehow we still manage to forget this simple concept.
I think about my Aunt a lot now. I was only 9 when she died. I think about all of the things that made her so very unique. I probably think about her even more because people say I am like her. I wish my husband and son could have met her. People say that often you appreciate people more after they pass away and while I do agree with this to extent because so often in life we take the things nearest to us for granted, I don't necessarily agree in this case. Its just that now that I am older I see the little things that made her unique in a new light. She was my favorite Aunt then and if she were here I believe she'd be my favorite Aunt today.

7 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I love that poster and wish often I could have it. I also thought it was silly when I first read it and didn't understand. But I sure do now. She was a very special sister. Thanks for the memory.

Unknown said...

This is a sweet post. I wish I had known my mother-in-law. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope none of your other aunts read this...

Becky said...

Such a true statement! What a great memory of your aunt.

Brett Hendrickson said...

Net, this is sweet. I won that poster at a Sunday School picnic or something when I was a pretty little boy. I'm not sure what moved her to actually put it up in the house, but I remember it well, though I hadn't thought of it in many years.

Tim and Lanette said...

Its cool to know the story behind it, do you know what ever happened to it?

Brett Hendrickson said...

No idea about what happened to the poster. But I would guess it went in the trash at some point. She wasn't very sentimental :)