Friday, May 25, 2007

Nearing Toddlehood

James is creating all sorts of mayhem these days. A week or so ago I had to tape the door shut on the butchers block (this is where I store all of our stemware) to keep curious, chubby hands away. Last night I was in another room and I heard a series of mysterious thuds coming from the kitchen where James was toddering in his walker. When I went to see what the fuss was I found that James had discovered the makeshift pantry shelf and was unloading the boxes of cake and muffin mixes onto the floor. Normally I might not have found this to be suitable entertainment for the little ragamuffin but it just seemed like the thing to do. I mean the shelf will only be there maybe a week more so how much of a mess can he make?
He now has 6 teeth and the 7th is cutting through. He had a ruff month what with getting 4 teeth in four weeks. This one he's working on now doesn't seem to bother him much.
He's also been working hard on waving and saying Bye-Bye. Most times he waves bye-bye now even on command. A couple of days ago he was sitting on the floor and I had just turned on the Today Show and as I walked by him I noticed he was waving at someone so I looked a the tv and they were out on the Plaza and all the people were waving at the camera, so James decided it would only be right to wave back. He's very random at saying it though, he'll only say it when he sees fit.
He's still not crawling. He's just too content. He loves his walker and sometimes it seems like he may just skip crawling and walk first. Its hard to say. He is getting up on his hand and tucking one knee under himself so maybe he will crawl yet. Mom says that I'm too pushy and he'll do it on his own time, which I am sure she is right, as she most generally is. I ask myself why I want him to anyways? He's already getting into everything and following me every where I go, why would I want to make him even more mobile?
"Give it, I'm gonna get it, I am, I am!"
"Cameras look so fun"
"I'm such a big ol' brute I'm gonna be built just like my Uncle A."
"Gonna, heck, I already look like him"
"Momma just loves my new smile. She loves my squinty VanHofwegen/Rozeboom eyes"
"If Momma would make me some cake I wouldn't have to eat the box."
"I'm not naughty, who said I was naughty?"

7 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I can't even say which is my favorite. I think it might be the naughty one at the bottom. I'm seeing that look more often and I love it.

lauri said...

I love the teeth...makes his smile so cute. He is sucha handsome lad...don't hurry the crawling, soon enough he'll be asking to drive your car....thank you Calvin.

Kryna said...

Did I tell you he is cute yet?!?! Hehehe, Aunts can say that all the time I think.

Unknown said...

He is darling, as ever...

Mike and Belinda said...

He is getting SOOOO BIG already!!

Anonymous said...

Net-

I haven't posted in so long for many reasons...one of them being that I can't get into my blogger account even when I change the reset the password. I don't know who to contact. Any ideas? Love all your pictures. Cy started walking right after he turned nine months and he is so much fun!

Becky said...

I love this stage! (I love most any stage, though) Those pictures of him are darling! But it's hard to mess up when you are working with such a cute kid.