Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Extravagance

Yesterday Mom took me to get my hair cut, colored, and styled. I was well overdue; it had been almost two years since I had been to a stylist. While I was being pampered she took care of James. Nothing makes you feel more like a woman than getting your hair done. Being pretty may not be important but feeling pretty is. Every woman should feel pretty; I have long been a firm believer that external beauty is a state of mind. So yesterday I was able to sit in a chair and chat about absolutely nothing while I got enough foil weaved through my hair to communicate with those in the space station. The girl who cut it is one of those really sweet local girls. You know the kind, as sweet as honeysuckle but has never been out; by out I mean away to see life other than that of the everyday humdrum of Hometown America. Recently Harrison has been blessed with its very own coffee house, Uncommon Grounds. Mom and I were talking to the stylist about our visit to it and mentioned that it was quite good and even boasted some of the usual conveniences a coffee house should...internet access etc. The only thing we found odd was the crowd sipping the highly caffeinated beverages. We mentioned that they were not your average coffee house crowd. To these observations she replied, "Oh that makes me feel better. I was afraid to go because I thought maybe they would be judging me because I wasn't reading poetry or something. It’s a nice concept that they have internet, but I just really don't know anyone who could just whip out a laptop. Maybe some business people who are traveling through could use it. That would be nice, I'm sure they could use a break." Mom and I grinned and agreed that "yes, we're sure it will be nice for those business people." There's nothing like living in a small town, I love every quaint moment of it.

11 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Hey sweetie. This blog stuff is even harder than I realized. I don't think I can make mine do what you have just done. It is really amazing.

Anonymous said...

This sort of thing is maddening to those of us who take an interest in communication via written languages. But I shall resist to decode this mess and go back to work instead.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Hey it miraclously fixed itself and what a great post. You do look all gorgous and **** again. Hearther the hair stylist was a real hoot. It still amazes me how small a box some people live in. And what is even funnier is that they have no idea. But then who am I to talk, I from Arkansas.

Kryna said...

And no matter where you are, there are boxes. Everybody is in one, the best is just to know it and apreciate the one that the "other" guy is in. Culture I say, love it! But Oh I do love the culture of the Ozarks. You just about can't beat it can you?!?! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooo, nice post Netter. Hmm, being pretty is not important but feeling such is? Do you think they often happen independently from each other. Conceptually they can of course but do you think they often do in the real world? This whole assertion assumes that beauty is objective in some sense or absolute. I tend to think that the whole business is a social construct in some very real way but if we are to think on things which are 'lovely', there must be some objective standard. I suspect there are those who might raise both hands and cry, "Oh I know, I know--The Bible", but how do we turn that into something we can use? Gotta run, ADR

Tim and Lanette said...

Ok, here’s what I think. Of course it may be wrong (in which case I am sure you will correct me), but its what I think. To feel pretty is ultimately to accept and enjoy how and who God has made you. To be actually physically pretty is to look pleasing to another or maybe even a majority. Although I do believe when you "feel" pretty you will most often be attractive to others. I think physical beauty is relative because of the unique personality that God has created us with, making it so everyone differs in preferences. As for looking on things which are lovely...when the Bible speaks of this I can't imagine it is speaking of physical beauty. It would seem to me that it would be more likely that it would be referring to loveliness of character and so on. The idea that beauty can never be preferential suggests that I could be wrong in not preferring teal. What say ye?

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I feel very old.

Anonymous said...

Well, however you feel, I still think you're beautiful!

Tim and Lanette said...

Why do you feel old? And yes, I think you are beautiful too.

Anonymous said...

P.S. The background color on your blog here is about like the color we're puting in the bathroom with a soft white trim color. Your background is a little darker I'd say.

Tim and Lanette said...

Real real pretty, lasts a long long time. :)