Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Pacifier

We have been working very hard to get James to fall in love with his pacifier. No one was more determined in this plan than Grandma R. She kept telling me what a blessing they are and that I would be glad that I had made the effort. James was not convinced and would half heartedly suck on his binky only when it was being held in place by one of his doting caregivers. Since I have been experimenting with formulas recently (its working, so now we know that his "colic" is some sort of food sensitivity. We'll try nursing again soon, I'm not ready to give up) his sucking needs have been grossly unfullfilled. So now it was time to get down and dirty. I went to the store today and bought four differant kinds of pacifiers; this is in addition to the kind he had already tried. I took the pacifiers along with us to visit G&G R. at War Eagle and confered with Mom about which to try first. This was her answer: "Well these are the kind I used with Aaron, and as much as he seems to be like Aaron why don't you start with those." Ok, lets try those. Well what do you know he seems quite satisfied to suck on this paci all on his own. Its just a little scary. Do they have Latin and Greek Little Golden books. Maybe I can get a kiddie version of the Iliad. I might as well get a jump on it. :) Be proud my Brudder, be proud.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could always be persuaded to tell him Classic stories but I think it would be best to wait with the Latin until he's around 7 and the Greek until he's 11 or so! What a cutie. I can't wait to see my little clone. If you socialize him young and encourage honesty and self-expression, there may still be hope for him in spite of the resemblance. ADR

Tim and Lanette said...

Actually, children pick up languages rather quickly before the age of 2 so now's a perfect time to start. TdH

Kryna said...

Everybody over here things he looks like Aaron too and they have never even seen his baby pics. You could have to get a lot of couseling from Mom. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think the food sensitivity thing must be a Rozeboom trait...Jalen had the SAME thing, but I was much less determined. After having a SCREAMING baby for 6 weeks I gave into formula. He tried I think 6 types before we found the right one. My advice, if breastfeeding doesn't work, skip the hassle (long nights, screaming, and projectile vomiting) and go strait to Nutramagin (Enfamil). Its spendy, but well worth it to have a happy baby!!! Hey, thanks for the jam and candle!! The jam is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, on the pacifier issue. It IS a Godsend, but if he is at all like Jalen, he will spit it out at four months and have nothing to do with it from that point on...turkeys!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Tim and Lanette said...

Yeah it looks like I may have formula babie on my hands I'm going to call the la leche league and see what advice they can give me. If that doesn't work we'll just keep him on the Alimentum (also very spendy, he does pretty good on it.

Anonymous said...

Lanette- A friend of mine is a La leche league leader and a Christian. I can give you her email, otherwise her blog is thevedrafamily.blogspot.com.

She is very helpful in all aspects of nursing, etc. :) Just a thought, if you are interested.

Tim and Lanette said...

Thanks Lydia, I'll see if I can get in touch with her. I'm pretty determined to make this work.